The Milwaukee Brewers showed faith in Jimmy Nelson this winter when they moved two starters to free up a spot of him in the rotation and they are being rewarded for their trust in him. While there have been bumps along the way this year, Nelson will look to build off his strong start to July as he takes the mound against the Pittsburgh Pirates tonight against Francisco Liriano.
More from Reviewing the Brew
- Brewers: Yet Another Huge Promotion For Top Prospect Jackson Chourio
- Brewers Making Colossal Mistake With Corbin Burnes’ Contract
- Which Players May Be In The Final Month Of Their Brewers Careers?
- Brewers: Where Does Devin Williams Stand In NL Reliever Of The Year Race?
- Brewers: Lorenzo Cain Was Right to Call Out the Team’s Management
Through his first two starts in the month, Nelson has been outstanding. Though he is just 1-1, he has posted a 2.13 ERA for July and he is coming off perhaps his best start of the season. In his last start, Nelson didn’t allow a hit until the sixth inning and he allowed just three unearned runs in seven innings against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Facing the Pirates for the fourth time this season, Nelson will face a team that he has controlled well each time out. In his three previous outings against them, Nelson has allowed just two earned runs over 18 innings as he has struck out 19 batters.
Coming into the series the Pirates were one of the hottest teams in baseball and while they are arguably the best team in baseball right now, there is not a better pitcher for the Brewers to have out there than Nelson as they look to start the second half of the season on a high not with at least a series win.