Milwaukee Brewers: Five Major Storylines for 2017
1. Ryan Braun’s time in Milwaukee
We’ve come to the number one headline-grabber for the Milwaukee Brewers in 2017.
More from Brewers News
- Brewers: 4 Players Who Must Step Up for the Crew to Make the Playoffs
- Brewers: Yet Another Huge Promotion For Top Prospect Jackson Chourio
- Brewers Making Colossal Mistake With Corbin Burnes’ Contract
- Which Players May Be In The Final Month Of Their Brewers Careers?
- Brewers: Where Does Devin Williams Stand In NL Reliever Of The Year Race?
The storyline most likely to garner season-long attention is Ryan Braun’s future as a Brewer. While unlikely to be traded this late in the offseason, he could be shipped at the 2017 trade deadline.
Braun is firmly entrenched as the third-best player in Brewers’ franchise history, ranked behind Hall of Famers Robin Yount and Paul Molitor.
I would consider Braun unlikely to eclipse either in WAR as a Brewer, but his legacy can still evolve significantly if he remains in Milwaukee for several more seasons.
Braun also gives the casual fan a consistent name to recognize, which is important for a small-market team. The business end of a rebuild isn’t always pretty, and trading Braun could be the last straw for some fans.
"Milwaukee Brewers: 2017 Under-the-Radar Pitching Prospects"
Still, keeping him until he loses trade value doesn’t make sense for the franchise. If they get a reasonable deal for Braun, I believe the Crew trades him.