It's a very important offseason for the Milwaukee Brewers. They made four consecutive postseasons from 2018-21 but fell short in 2022. The competitive window is still open and the Brewers remain focused on winning the World Series.
In order to get this team back into the postseason, this roster is going to see a lot of changes over the course of the offseason. Several key players will depart in free agency or trades, and new players will come in to take their place, hopefully improving the roster as a whole.
However, the Brewers aren't operating with a blank check. They have an ever increasing 2023 payroll and 18 players in arbitration that will be getting huge raises. It's looking to be yet another record payroll in 2023 and there's not much flexibility there. Still, changes have to be made and they will be made around this roster.
The front office needs to add to this core and supplement the group they have. They can't tear any core guys away from this group this offseason like they did in July with the Josh Hader trade. The blowback was severe and the front office simply can't try to pull another move like that this winter and still expect to call themselves contenders in 2023.
Will any of the Crew's free agents be brought back? How will they address needs on the offense at catcher and third base? Who will fill out the rest of the bullpen? How is this roster going to improve in 2023?
There’s so much to answer, but for now we’re in the information gathering stage. Here at Reviewing The Brew, we’re going to keep a tracker of all the news, rumors and transactions fans need to know for the remainder of the offseason.
Brewers 2023 Payroll Information
- Brewers 2023 Projected Payroll as of today: $115MM
- Brewers 2023 Projected Payroll Ceiling: $150MM
- Available to spend: $35MM
Brewers 2022-2023 Transactions
- Brewers exercised Kolten Wong's $10MM club option - 11/8
- Brewers declined Brad Boxberger's $3MM club option - 11/10
- The Brewers claimed RHP Tyson Miller off waivers from the Texas Rangers - 11/10
- The Brewers acquired catcher Payton Henry from the Miami Marlins in exchange for 17 year old minor league outfielder Reminton Batista. Henry will go on the 40 man roster and returns to Milwaukee after having been traded away at the Trade Deadline in 2021, - 11/10
- The Brewers have selected four players to the 40 man roster ahead of the Rule 5 Draft protection deadline: SS Brice Turang, RHP Abner Uribe, RHP Cam Robinson, and 1B/DH Jon Singleton - 11/15
- LHP Brent Suter was claimed off waivers by the Colorado Rockies - 11/18
- The Brewers non-tendered RHP Jandel Gustave, RHP Trevor Gott, and RHP Luis Perdomo - 11/18
- The Brewers acquired RHP Javy Guerra from the Tampa Bay Rays for a player to be named later - 11/18
- The Brewers traded OF Hunter Renfroe to the Los Angeles Angels in exchange for RHP Janson Junk, RHP Elvis Peguero, and LHP Adam Seminaris - 11/22
- OF Blake Perkins was signed to a major league contract - 11/23
Brewers offseason rumors
- Corbin Burnes could potentially be available in a trade for the right price, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. Rosenthal also listed Adrian Houser, Kolten Wong, and Hunter Renfroe as trade candidates.
- Buster Olney has further pushed the rumor that Hunter Renfroe is a trade candidate this winter, adding that rival clubs believe he could be on the move.
- Despite Kolten Wong's club option being picked up, rumors are he's on the trade block and there's already one AL team interested.
- A division rival reportedly has interest in signing Brewers free agent Omar Narvaez.
- The Brewers may be a sleeper team for one former All Star closer on the free agent market, at least according to Bill Ripken.
Brewers Arbitration Eligible Players (projected salaries)
- Hunter Renfroe - $11.2MM - Traded to LAA
- Victor Caratini - $2.8MM
- Luis Perdomo - $1MM - non-tendered
- Brandon Woodruff - $11MM
- Matt Bush - $2MM - signed $1.8MM
- Willy Adames - $9.2MM
- Trevor Gott - $1.4MM - non-tendered
- Corbin Burnes - $11.4MM
- Eric Lauer - $5.2MM
- Jandel Gustave - $900K - non-tendered
- Adrian Houser - $3.6MM - signed $3.6MM
- Rowdy Tellez - $5.3MM
- Luis Urias - $4.3MM
- Hoby Milner - $1.1MM
- Devin Williams - $3.2MM
- Mike Brosseau - $1.2MM
- Keston Hiura - $2MM
Brewers Free Agents Lost
The Milwaukee Brewers certainly have some key players hitting free agency this offseason. To see who we think is going to come back to Milwaukee or head elsewhere, here is a breakdown. Below is a list of the Brewers free agents this offseason and their new destinations.
- Omar Narvaez - Free Agent
- Andrew McCutchen - Free Agent
- Taylor Rogers - Free Agent
- Jace Peterson - Free Agent
- Trevor Rosenthal - Free Agent
- Brad Boxberger - Free Agent
- Trevor Gott - signed with Seattle Mariners
- Luis Perdomo - Free Agent
- Jandel Gustave - Free Agent
Brewers Top 10 Prospects For 2023
- OF Jackson Chourio
- OF Sal Frelick
- OF Joey Wiemer
- SS Brice Turang
- OF Garrett Mitchell
- 2B Tyler Black
- C Jeferson Quero
- OF Esteury Ruiz
- RHP Jacob Misiorowski
- SS Eric Brown
So that is the tracker for the Milwaukee Brewers 2022-2023 offseason. Make sure you keep this bookmarked so you can check back in and see where the Brewers stand going into 2023. It looks like this offseason could be a wild one.